Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Another Way to Connect

Writers in this day and age of social media are encouraged to create platforms were they can interact with readers. It's a bit daunting when you're 58 and learning how to connect through all the new forms of media. I mean, Twitter anyone? I've just scratched the surface and I'm still very lost. ;-)

I've been blogging here at In the Shade of the Cherry Tree for nearly five years. I don't have the biggest following, but I do enjoy the comments.

Facebook hasn't stretched me too far. If you haven't checked out my author page yet, try this LINK.

I'm very new to Twitter, though. I've been tweeting about a week and a half. The limits of 140 characters is still constraining. Add all the @ and #, and I'm a babe in the woods. Here's where I am-- @ZanMarieS. Have any of you got a simplified way to explain it all? ;-)

And now the newest one of all--I have a Goodreads Author Page.  I've only had it up since Saturday.

So if you can't find me one place, surely I'll be somewhere. Just tweet, fb me, comment on the blog, and say hello. ;-)

And one more thing. Have you noticed the new background picture? It's the actual cherry tree in my yard that inspired the name of my blog and is part of the setting on my novels. How's that for inspiration? ;-)

16 comments:

  1. Social media can be daunting. The best tip I've heard is to pick one or two things you enjoy and stick with that. Better to be good at a few things than struggle with many. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lara, I'm at my limit and I know it. I don't think there's Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram, or anything else in my future. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I am so tempted to try tweeting but overwhelmed by the thought. I guess it has to do with age. From what I can see of it, your cherry tree looks lovely, Zan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet! I know the age thing. ;-) Tweeting is still daunting.

      Delete
    2. Daniel does it all the time and has really had great success as far as his game is concerned. I am still trying to get the hang of facebook, photoshop, and email. :D Tweeting will just have to wait.

      Delete
    3. I understand! Those young ones are all faster than we are. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Great looking tree. I'm all over the net and have been for years. Does it help sales? I have to say eh. But then I'd rather be doing other things than touting "Look at me! I'm an author" or "Buy my book."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, they say it's better to use social media for connecting, not promoting. The promoting takes care of itself. Of course, that's based on "They say..." ;-)

      Delete
  4. I have almost three thousand followers on Twitter and I still don't have any idea what I'm doing, If you figure it out, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Goodreads, the bane of my existence. I'd probably spend a wee bit more time there if I'd ever synced my LibraryThing accounts. But even at that, I'm about 300+ books behind in my cataloguing, and it's so much easier to update my Books Read list on my blog. I don't feel accurately represented on Goodreads without my entire library being listed there, so I tend to avoid the place. Weird, I know.
    I need an intern!
    But I shall have to go fan/friend your author page!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deniz! Every little like helps the platform.

      Delete
  6. Love the new background. I don't tweet, but I have been thinking about joining Tumblr recently. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. Another one I'm not planning on joining. ;-) And thanks for the comment on the background. It's the good old cherry tree in my side yard. I took this pic last summer.

      Delete
  7. I love Twitter! It is my social media site of choice. (Will follow you as soon as I'm done with this comment.) To me it is much easier to find writers and publishing types that you can start conversations with. Look for the hashtags #amwriting and #mywana as starting points, then start following people (like me--@wordstrumpet) and begin chatting!

    ReplyDelete

To use Facebook or Twitter sign in, select Name/URL. Add your name and the URL of your homepage for Facebook or Twitter...and comment. Thanks for coming by!